Tired of throwing your food scraps in the garbage?
The City of Orlando provides free backyard composters for you to compost at home. Composting is the process of turning kitchen and yard waste into usable, nutrient-rich soil through natural decomposition.
Keep in Mind
- A staff person will follow up within 2-3 business days to let you know when to expect your composter.
- Most food scraps and yard waste can be added to your composter. Check our composting guide for a full list.
- No meat, bones, fats, oils, dairy or grease should go into composters. (request a cooking oil recycling jug)
- Make sure you add plenty of leaves, shredded paper or shredded cardboard and keep your compost damp to help your food scraps break down.
- The backyard composter remains the property of the City, so needs to stay with the house if you move. Call for us to come pick it up if you plan on leaving.